Submit Creative Work
Submit creative work about fishing life to Chasing Scale! We welcome articles, essays, poems, art, photo and video contributions. Chasing Scale will consider, but assumes no responsibility for, unsolicited proposals, manuscripts and photographs. Chasing Scale is not responsible for unsolicited contributions.
Chasing Scale aims to showcase the highest quality imagery. We’re looking for those great moments, timeless images, incredible landscapes/settings and images that define the culture of fishing. Experiment! Get creative! Think outside the fly box! With our large viewership, Chasing Scale is a great gateway to showcase your hard work. Be selective with your submission. We limit the content that we display on our website. Please only send those images that you see as up to the standards of Chasing Scale. If you don’t know those standards, simply take a closer look at the site.
How to submit:
- Chasing Scale only accepts exclusive, previously unpublished submissions. If the same or similar images are currently under consideration or have been used by any other organization (including but not limited to magazines, newspapers, books, outdoor companies, and websites, including social media use) do not send them to us.
- All digital submissions must have all metadata fully embedded, including photographer name, contact info, caption, model and location info. We will NOT consider any digital submissions that don’t have the proper metadata.
- Initial submissions are accepted as JPEGs, no larger than 500 pixels on the long side at 72 dpi via our submission email (see below).
- If selected for consideration, a JPEG format at 2000 pixels wide at 72 dpi with your adjustments embedded will be requested and required for showcasing.
- Please rename your images to include your last name and first initial in the filename of all submission and keep this naming structure throughout the entire process.
Short Films and Videos
We at Chasing Scale have a soft spot in our hearts for creative short films and videos. We’ve had a lot of fun putting our own together over the years. Have you put your blood, sweat and tears into a project? Have you captured a unique perspective of a recent fishing trip, an epic journey, a worthy and interesting topic, a worthwhile cause, a magical setting or an intriguing person? We would love to help you spread the word and get that final edit out to the masses. Ideally, we’re looking for interesting and concept-based content put together with quality and mindful editing. For your convenience and ours, we will only consider short films or videos of 15 minutes or less in duration.
How to submit:
- Send us an email (see below) with the URL of your video (ie. vimeo, youtube, etc.), who you are, a short description and back story of the project as well as short list of keywords you’d like us to add to our showcase page as well as a link.
- Wait to see if your submission makes it onto our showcase page which is updated on the first Friday of every month!
The Written Word
Chasing Scale welcomes complete essays, articles and stories that showcase anglers (or those associated in some way with the fishing industry), places, culture and meaningful causes.
What/how to submit (initial contact):
- Include a brief description of the story: the angle, subjects, and location in the body of the initial email contact
- Include references to any photo resources for the story, especially with regard to Features submissions.
- Include references to previously published work.
- Include all your contact information.
- Essays should be emailed as a .txt or .docx format. They should be well-written and free of grammar and punctuation errors. Make sure you’ve revised as needed. It’s never a bad idea to have someone else read it prior to submission. Take the time and care to ensure your submission is as close to being ready for publication as possible.
The writing we’re looking for:
- Longer Pieces: Focused pieces that take as their subject a specific person, place, thing, or event in a particular moment in time.
*Please keep your submission to 1200-4000 words.
- Shorts: Poetry, Prose poem, or very short fiction.
*Please keep your submission to less than 500 words.
- Conservation Topics: A compelling conservation story that identifies specific conservation concerns regarding a region or species.
*Please keep your submission under 2000 words.
Featured articles, essays or stories will be showcased on our website’s homepage. Cheehooo! If you have what it takes, good on ya! We’re looking for 1200-4000 words. If you need more, that’s fine. However, an essay under 2000 words will save both of us a lot of time and energy. Chasing Scale Features go beyond a simple story. The best features take a deeper dive into the history, culture, eccentricities, and/or conservation issues of a particular people and place. Features typically fall into one of the following categories: adventure, travel, locale, profile, culture, conservation, gallery (focused on a photo or piece of art).
*If your submission makes it as a Chasing Scale Feature, we’ll send you a Chasing Scale hat!
Our response time
We read every submission, and we do our best to reply to all queries and submissions as promptly as possible. With that said, please allow at least 1 month before sending follow-up inquiries regarding your submission. Don’t worry, we’ll get back to you!
*All Email Submissions
- Please include Author Name, Submission Type (ie. “Essay”), Submission Date in the header of your email
- Within the email, please include a short bio (who you are, where you’re from, your favorite waters, your inspirations, your hopes and dreams). This can be sent in an attached text or .doc file or written right in the email itself.
- Please attach a small photo of yourself (JPEG at least 500px wide)
- One submission per email
- We will notify you if your submission does not follow these guidelines
Send all submissions to:
Clicker here for general inquiries